Are you getting ready to start a home renovation in Burlington, Milton, Mississauga or Oakville? Maybe you’re in the earliest stages of just thinking about it, or maybe you’re ready to crack through walls tomorrow. Either way, these five tips are essential to a successful home renovation.
1) Get a good contractor: This is crucial. A contractor will run the project and ensure everything is being done correctly and according to schedule. A home renovation is a pretty big burden to take on alone – your contractor will be able to take a lot of the weight off your shoulders. There are a number of contractors in the Halton Peel Region. For tips on how to find and choose a renovation contractor in Burlington, Milton, Mississauga and Oakville, check out our blog posts:
How to Find Renovation Contractors in Oakville
How to Choose a Contractor for a Home Renovation
2) Plan: There’s nothing wrong with taking your time in the planning stage, in fact, it’s better if you do. A home improvement project, big or small, is always going to be an event; it’s best to prepare for it. Think about the design styles you like, the colours you prefer, the time you have to spend on the project, etc.
3) Budget: Step #3 goes hand-in-hand with Step #2. A huge part of planning is budgeting. It’s important to know how much money you can realistically put into a project long before you start. It is also wise to set aside a portion of your budget, say 10-15 per cent, for the unexpected. Your contractor can provide you with project estimates so you have a better idea of the costs you’ll be facing with your specific renovation in Burlington, Milton, Mississauga or Oakville.
4) Use trends sparingly: Trends are great, we love ‘em. But when it comes to home trends, it’s not as easy as just buying a pair of skinny jeans. Home trends are much more expensive and much more long-term. The best thing to do is to use trends sparingly. Keep your walls neutral for example, in colours that won’t go out of style. Have an accent wall for that trendy pistachio colour you love, which you can paint over when you want to change to the next hit shade. The easiest way to embrace trends is to accessorize with stylish items like throw pillows, artwork or lighting. These are things that can be quickly and relatively cheaply changed if necessary.
5) Always make sure your space reflects you: At the end of the day, your space should reflect you, not a magazine spread. While it’s helpful to take inspiration from current styles, if something is not “you” then don’t use it. The same goes for certain rooms – if you and your family never have a use for a fancy, official dining room, then why not turn that space into something you will use, like a craft room or a movie den?
domilya GROUP services the Halton Peel Region of Ontario. If you’re looking to start a home renovation in Burlington, Milton, Mississauga or Oakville, give us a call at 647.300.1242.