Whether you are a big believer in New Year’s resolutions or not, it’s the time of year where people reflect on the last 12 months and are for a fresh start. Making the decision to renovate your home can come about for so many reasons – a windfall of cash, a change in family size, a change in career or the desire to create the home you always wanted. Whatever the reason, renovating a basement is one of the best ways to add value to your home and to increase square footage to give you the space you need for your 2017 goals.
From large cities like Toronto to smaller towns like Oakville, basement renovations are almost always done to make room for:
- A home office
- A home gym
- A guest bedroom
- A nanny or rental suite
- A playroom/family room
- Storage space
Once you know what you need to help you achieve your goals and dreams for 2017, you’ll know what type of basement renovation you are looking for. Use domilya GROUP’s basement renovation resolutions to ensure you are happy with the space:
- Embrace storage. No matter what you want the end use of your basement to be, building in storage space is important and is never something a home owner regrets!
- Be open to the light. Basements can seem dark and dreary due to the absence of natural light. Don’t skimp on your lighting budget for the basement! While recessed lighting is a fantastic choice, adding lighting on bookcases, under counters and in corners can also help brighten the space.
- Choose the right floor. While many people think carpet is what goes in the basement, your contractor can let you know about many other options that could work in your space depending in what you will be using it for. Proper flooring can help keep in the heat and reduce moisture.
- Pick colour. Usually the basement doesn’t need to blend in with the rest of the house as there is no connection or integration. That being said, choosing bold colours, textures or fabrics can really work in a basement space. A home gym or a playroom can really be brightened by the use of colour.
- Make it work. While you may have one main use for your new basement space, design your space so that you have some options and flexibility. Can your new home office also accommodate a sofa bed? Can you add a separate section for a home gym while also building a playroom? Designing the space with some flexibility means it can change as your needs change. You will get what you want, but you also make that new square footage work as hard as it can to add value to your home.
Ready to renovate your basement in 2017? domilya GROUP can help. Contact us today to discuss your needs and let us deliver renovation solutions that will make your dreams for your home come true.