The importance of flood proofing your basement cannot be stressed enough.
A flood can cause tremendous damage to a home and your belongings, but in many cases, that damage can be prevented. By flood proofing your home, the basement in particular, you can prevent a very expensive clean-up project later on.
The exact flood proofing system youâ€™ll need will depend on the condition of your home and the area you live in. You might be in a particularly flood-prone community or you might be concerned about a specific drainage problem unique to your house. Whatever the issue may be, domilya GROUP can help. Basements are our specialty, so give us a call for a free basement renovation consultation at 647-300-1242.
If youâ€™re interested in doing some flood proofing yourself, here are some great steps to ensuring your basement is waterproof, from the This Old House website:
- Use hydraulic cement to fill cracks or holes in concrete floors and walls.
- Add a layer of waterproof masonry cement to the inside of walls.
- Ensure water drains away from your foundation by attaching extensions to downspouts that direct the water away from the house.
- Dig a trench right under the downspout that can accommodate a four-inch diameter PVC pipe.
- Connect that PVC pipe to the downspout.
- Put in a drywell at the opposite end of the pipe for catching and spreading out rainwater.