Oh the kitchen! For a lot of us, it’s our favourite room in the house, and probably the most-used room, too. They call it the heart of the home, and it often is. But storage can be a struggle in our favourite room.
The sheer volume of items we need to store in the kitchen is staggering – pots, pans, mixing bowls, appliances, utensils, dry goods, canned goods, spices, oils, extra dishsoap and sponges, the stuff to clean the glass cooktop, the good scissors, the kids’ lunchboxes, water bottles and thermoses galore, and if you don’t have a separate dining room, the kitchen is also where you keep all your dishes and cutlery and glassware. Adequate storage is crucial for a kitchen that’s fully functional.
If you need some storage solutions but don’t want to do an actual kitchen renovation, here are some tips from Better Homes and Gardens.
- Use a freestanding cabinet for added storage if you don’t have a lot of built-in cabinetry.
- Try over-the-door hanging racks on the inside of your cupboards (the one under the sink is a perfect choice) to maximize storage space.
- If coffee or tea is a big part of your mornings, create a coffee/tea station for yourself. Put all the fixings in a basket or box next to the kettle or coffeemaker so you’re all set in the morning.
- Organize your freezer with plastic baskets, labelled for what they contain (e.g. veggies, stews, etc.)
- Use clear, stackable containers for your dry goods (oatmeal, pasta, rice, etc.) to save cupboard space.
(For more tips like these from Better Homes and Gardens, click here.)
Sometimes, however, for certain kitchens, the best solution is a renovation. We specialize in kitchen renovations in Mississauga and Oakville, and would be happy to give you a free consultation about yours. With a renovation you can revamp your entire kitchen, install excellent cabinetry and storage solutions, change the shape of the space to redirect foot traffic through the kitchen so it’s more functional, and the list goes on.
Call us today to talk about a kitchen renovation! (647) 264-6387