Make Some Money Back on Your Renovation

We’ve come across an online tool that may be able to help you make some money back on your home, so we wanted to share it with you.

It’s called rebate4u, and it helps you get an HST refund on your house if you have significantly renovated it or built a new home. Here are some details (from its website) about how it works. Please visit the site, link below, for more information. Of course, we can’t advise you on how to go about this or if you should use this service, but we wanted to bring it to your attention in case you haven’t heard about it and may be able to use it.

  • What’s the difference between a rebate and a refund?
    Here’s what the website has to say about that: “A refund is for tax that has been overpaid or incorrectly paid, and is returned to a business or individual under a taxing statute or regulation. A refund is also for persons who have remitted to the Minister amounts in excess of the tax collectable or payable. A rebate is for tax properly paid and is subsequently returned to a business or individual under a rebate provision.”
  • Am I eligible for an HST refund?
    You’ll have to contact for an assessment.
  • What’s the timeline to file my application for a rebate?
    According to rebate4u, you can file the rebate application within two years from the date of possession of your newly built house, or the date of completion of your renovation.
  • Where is the service available?
    As it is a federal initiative, it’s available across Canada.

For more information, here is the rebate4u website. Good luck!